Asia Olympic Project
Asia Olympic Project is Badminton Asia’s player development initiative. The AOP consists of the training opportunities and competition scholarship for players from developing countries organized by Badminton Asia in accordance to the Badminton Asia Strategic Plan 2020 – 2024.
The Asia Olympic Project (AOP) Scholarship is divided into 2 squads:
AOP 2020 Squad:
- A squad formed for 2016 – 2020 Olympic Cycle
- For players of a maximum 28 years old on Olympic Year.
- Being prepared for major BWF and Badminton Asia events.
- Badminton Asia offers 8 scholarships for the AOP 2016 squad
AOP 2024 Squad:
- A squad formed for 2020 – 2024 Olympic Cycle
- Being prepared for excellency in Youth Olympic Games, Badminton Asia Youth Under 19 Championships and BWF World Junior Championships.
- Badminton Asia offers 8 scholarships for the AOP 2020 squad
The selection of players for the AOP Scholarship goes through a series of technical assessment processes. Among the areas of assessment are:
- Current World Ranking
- Consistency in participation of BWF Sanctioned Tournaments
- Results in BWF Sanctioned Tournaments
- Player Potential
- Player status with the BWF
A player can be selected into the AOP Squad through many channels. Among the channels for selection are:
- AOP Training Camps
- Identification in selected Badminton Asia / BWF Tournaments
- Nominated by respective Member Association
With a program designed to set the path for World Championships and the Olympics, the success of the Asia Olympic Project (AOP) is measured more holistically in term of its effect on overall badminton status in the country the player represents.